Friday, December 16, 2011

Polymer Clay Brands and the differences between them.

Level of Experience: Beginner

I'd like my blog to be filled with, tips and information related to what I do, Creating Art dolls, and Miniatures. So I thought I'd start at the beginning. In this article you'll read about the differences of the types of polymer clays I've used.

Depending on where you live you may not be able to get all the different brands of polymer clay. So I've listed every type I know of. Even the ones I've not yet tried.

The clay I prefer is Fimo Classic. But I recommend trying at least a few different brands and types. I prefer firmer clays like Fimo classic but some artists prefer the softer clays such as Super Sculpey, or Prosculpt. over the firmer ones.



_________________________________________________________


 List of Polymer Clays:

STAEDTLER PRODUCTS (Fimo)

Fimo Classic- Fimo classic is one of the firmer clays. Holds detail well. It is slightly flexible and is tougher to break. Comes in 24 colors. All colors can be
mixed to create other colors.

If not conditioned or kneaded this clay can crack while sculpting (before it's been cured). It is firm and can be difficult to knead on it's own. A fix for this is to
blend Fimo Mix Quick into Fimo Classic.  After it's been cured it is very strong, and a little pliable

Fimo Soft: Softer then Fimo classic and easier on the hands. Also Comes in 24 colors. Can become too soft and difficult to sculpt with. Not a good clay for those
who prefer firmer polymer clays.

Fimo effects: Clays that have something a little different to them For example Translucentcy, Glitters/shimmers, Metalics, Marble effects ect....  They are soft clays easy on the hands.
but again may be difficult to sculpt with. A fix for this would be to mix with the firmer Fimo classic. However that will have an impact on
the color and "effects" element of the clay. Comes in 24 colors with 5 different effects.

Puppen Fimo: Holds detail well, has a skin like translucency, comes in four skin tones. (porcelain, rose, beige, and Flesh) Holds detail well. Can be Firm and difficult to knead.
This problem can be fixed with Fimo Mix Quick, and/or the use of a Pasta Machine or roller in place of kneading.

Liquid Fimo: Liquid Translucent polymer clay. Similar to Translucent Liquid Sculpey. A difference between the two. Liquid Fimo gets clearer then Translucent Liquid Sculpey.

Fimo Mix Quick: Colorless kneading Aid for Fimo clays. Mix with firm clay to create a softer clay.


POLYFORM PRODUCTS

Original Sculpey: This is the first polymer clay I tried and I did not like it much. It breaks easily and is very soft. Comes in one color (White).

Super Sculpey:    Skin tone clay but in my opinion it's not really a natural looking skin tone. Tends to get Moonies (small cracks under the surface of the cured clay). Moonies can be carved out and repared. I'll write more about that in another article. Breaks easier then Fimo. Isn't very pliable.

Sculpey III: Comes in 44 colors, can be mixed to create more colors. Breaks easily, and is a softer clay.

Premo: Comes in 34 colors. This is a firmer clay. Was designed for bead work.

Premo Accents: Has effects like Fimo Effects. Although I've not tried this clay so cannot say anything else about it.

Granitex: Comes as an 8 piece set. Has a "Granit" look. Is soft like sculpey III

Bake & Bend: Fun clay designed with kids in mind. It is VERY soft and difficult to sculpt with but as the name says you can bend it. I once Created a bake and bend dragon with a complete armature.  The result was I had a very poseable Dragon. Although after a bit of posing the clay gets white and moonie looking. But it never did break completely off the wire armature.

Sculpey Translucent liquid (TLS): Similar to Liquid Fimo. This is a liquid polymer clay. Doesn't seem to get as translucent as Liquid Fimo does. Otherwise very similar to Liquid Fimo

Below are Polyform products I've not tried yet. I've listed them so you know they exist but can not write about my own experiences with them. Since I've had none.

Eraser Clay

Bake shop

Glow in the dark

Sculpey Ultra light

Super Sculpey Firm

Super Sculpey Living doll



Jack Johnston's clay.

Prosculpt: comes in 4 doll skin tone colors (Baby, Caucasian Flesh, Ethnic Brown, and Light) It is one of the softer clays. Ocassionally gets moonies.
            


Below I've listed lesser known types of polymer clay. With the exception of Cernit,These are also clays I've not used so I can't give any info. Some of these clays are only sold in specific countries and may not be available where you live.


Cernit: Comes in beautiful doll skin tone colors. It is EXTREMELY soft and prone to getting moonies. It was so soft, when I used this clay I mixed it with Super Sculpey. This made it slightly firmer and I was then able to sculpt with it. I should note: Polymer clay Manufacturers do not reccomend mixing different brands of clay.  

Kato Polyclay

Friendly clay

Du-Kit Only available in New Zealand, Australia and Singapore

Artist's Modelene Only available in Australia

6 comments:

  1. thanks for the info! i have been meaning to try out some other brands, but i am pretty happy with FIMO Classic too.... so happy to see you in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting....I have only used Prosculpt for babies and Sculpy for animials. I will have to try some other kinds. I am going to get Living Doll Clay for Christmas, so I will get to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome Cindy, Of all the brands I've tried Fimo is my favorite. But it is good to experiment with other brands.

    so happy to be in blogland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn or Connee,

    Very cool, if you'd like to leave a comment about how you like or dislike Living Doll please feel free. I've never tried it so can't say anything about Living Doll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for the useful information. I'm wanting to experiment with Fimo clay and needed to know the differences between the soft and classic. I do need them to be firm, so classic it is!

    Keep blogging ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am taking some advice and ordering some clay now. I am using it for journaling.
    Can't wait! Thanks for your help. This was very informative.

    ReplyDelete