Thursday, February 2, 2012

How to Apply fur to polymer clay animal sculptures

You'll need Aileen's Clear Gel Tacky Glue, and fur.

I use Viscose doll hair but only because it is the thinnest I can find and I need thin for micro mini's. You can use anything though.

Add the fur in very thin layers, and just a few strands at a time. Start from the back of the animal, (leg or tail)  then work your way up to the snout. For areas with thin fur  (snout, paws ect..)I create flocking by cutting the fiber into a nearly powder like consistency.

To add color Start by dyeing/finding fur which matches the lightest shade of the real animal, The rest of the color (highlights, shadow, markings) is added with inks or Acrylic paints.

A couple of years ago I created a tutorial for sculpting and furring a Yorkshire Terrier. It is complete instructions from lump of clay to finished, furred, painted Yorkie. It is available here: http://store.payloadz.com/detail_html.asp?i=944907

xoxo
Aleah

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I did try Aileen's Tacky Glue and it peels off so easily, I did use Super Squlpey not Fimo, would you recommend some other glue?
    I admire Your art it is BRILLIANT!Thank you, best regards, Maren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maren,

    Thank you, I'm glad you like my work.

    Tacky glue and the glued fur can rub off if you hold your sculpture in areas that have already been furred/glued. well really if you move/rub those areas while you are working.

    One trick is to touch the furred areas as little as possible. for example I'll hold one leg of a teddy bear and leave that leg unfurred until the rest of it is furred. Then I hold the bear by one other area (after the glue has dried), and I don't move my fingers from that spot. In order to avoid potentially rubbing off that area. It takes some getting used to but it becomes second nature after a while.

    I've tried other glues but many are too harsh for polymer clay. Super glue for example will actually eat at the clay and destroy the sculpture over the space of a few years. E-6000 might work ok, but has a nasty smell and vapor. similar to car paint. I will not use that for long periods of time it can't be good to breathe those vapors in. I've tried many other glues but always ended up with more problems then Tacky Glue causes.

    Hope this info helps.

    xoxo
    Aleah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try fabri-tac! It dries quick! I have used hot glue for projects like this, but you have to spread it super thin quick and then hurriedly apply the fur. It's a messy hassle and you will probably burn yourself multiple times with hot glue. Fabri-tac is basically hot glue without the heat, as it dries almost as fast and I don't think it is toxic to your skin because it rolls right off even easier than basic white glue like Elmer's.The only downside is that fabri-tac is a bit pricey, but it does last a pretty good while, because a little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete